Travel | Italy: Venice Carnival


Hello everyone and welcome to festive Venice!
In this post, I want to show you a tiny piece of the Carnival spirit and those wonderful (but also scary) costumes and decorations.

Disclaimer:
this post is kind of a part of Italy series post, so let me explain.
I'm going to make it as helpful as I only can, with all the information that I have and with all my honesty.
All pictures are clickable.


We got to Venice Carnival right on the last day, so it's kind of closing of the Carnival that took place from January 23rd till February 9th.
Our train from Rome arrived at about 6am to Venice St. Lucia station and, as vaporettos don't work at that time, we had to walk to our hotel, which was located near Piazza San Marco. It was still quite dark and we got lost a few times (oh, classic!). But the positive side was that we had a truly great opportunity to take some pictures of silent Venice without tourists.



But... back to the Carnival!

We got to Piazza San Marco at about 8am and even then there already were people in costumes. And a lot of photographers. And some tourists.
And so it all has started.


You don't need to get away from San Marco Square to find wonderful costumes. They are all here and I don't think it's possible to photograph them all (I tried tho haha).


There's a schedule of all the Carnival events, places, prices and all these. The actual event at Piazza San Marco is free to visit. I'm not sure what it was about, but I believe they were introducing costumes that took a part in some sort of costume competition.









We were very lucky to get on time and get on a balcony of San Marco Cathedral, so we were watching the final of the Carnival from there without a lot of people around. San Marco Cathedral is also a museum, entry costs €5 and the view is worth it.


Unfortunately, we have missed fireworks at 9pm, as we were really tired and exhausted.

After all, I can say that costumes are truly wonderful and stunning. I can't even imagine how much time these people have spent creating them, but they did a great job.
What about the Carnival itself, I was expecting something bigger and greater. But it just how I felt and maybe you should spend more than only one day at the Carnival.

Have you ever been to Venice Carnival? What is your opinion on it?


[ Create an account and get $26 off your first Airbnb trip here! (Works only for new Airbnb users) ] *affiliate

Instagram